The mission of Air Quality Management is to achieve and maintain the National Ambient Air Quality Standards in Knox County for all criteria air pollutants designed to protect health and welfare, as set by local, state and federal law. This is accomplished through the following activities:
- monitoring of the ambient air to determine air quality levels;
- permitting of regulated stationary sources;
- conducting compliance evaluations and complaint investigations;
- issuing open burning permits; and
- providing technical and educational services.