Our vision is to be a valued business partner and trusted advisor for all Knox County Government departments. We are committed to honest and accurate communication, continuous operational improvements, and building strong working relationships with Knox County Government stakeholders.
Our mission is to enhance and protect organizational value by providing independent, risk-based and objective assurance, advice, and insight to help Knox County achieve county-wide goals and objectives.
The duties of the Internal Audit Department are detailed in Knox County Ordinance 0-10-3-104. This ordinance requires internal audit activities be conducted in accordance with the professional standards contained in the Government Auditing Standards (commonly referred to as generally accepted government auditing standards or GAGAS). In addition, the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) issues an International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) which provides additional guidance in building internal policies and procedures.
Through a systematic and disciplined approach, Knox County Internal Audit helps to improve County government performance and accountability by:
- Assessing the reliability of financial and operating information
- Evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of departments
- Testing the adequacy of controls for preventing waste and safeguarding assets
- Verifying compliance with policies, procedures, and regulations
- Advising and providing County employees with ways to increase internal control knowledge, awareness, and assessment capabilities.
JD, CIA, CFE
Knox County Internal Auditor
400 Main Street, Suite 630,
Knoxville, Tennessee 37902