Green Event Planning Help: Waste Reduction or Zero Waste
Events are increasingly “going green”. Participants are starting to expect event planners to offer recycling and other green elements that help reduce our ecological footprints. Knox County, The City of Knoxville Solid Waste Offices, and several other local organizations can help you.
We are developing a workbook style set of manuals to help with waste reduction at your events. They will be available for download here on this site in the future. For now, do not hesitate to contact our recycling coordinator for consultant assistance. The recycling coordinator can provide experiential knowledge, temporary recycling bins, signage, and local recycling contacts.
Things the Recycling Coordinator will need to know:
- How much planning time do you have?
- How big is the event?
- How much waste will be generated?
- What type of waste will your event generate (food, packaging, beverages, etc)?
- Who will take the waste away?
- Can you control waste at your event (vendor/exhibitor requirements, open to public, enclosed perimeter/fencing)?
-Do you have volunteers to recycle and watch the waste?
Waste Reduction Consulted Events
- Earth Fest
- Brewers Jam
- Irish Fest
- Race for the Cure
- Tennessee Valley Fair
- Sundown in the City
- Market Square Farmers Market