Knox County Tennessee

Travel and Immunizations

Persons traveling outside the United States may be required to receive immunization against diseases that are common to foreign countries but not prevalent in the U.S., such as yellow fever and typhoid fever. Our Travel and Immunization Clinic, located at our main facility on Dameron Avenue, offers vaccines recommended or required for travel outside the U.S.

vaccination certficate world map.jpg

  • Plan to receive your travel vaccines a minimum of four to six weeks prior to departure. Appointments are required for travel immunizations.
  • To make an appointment or for a list of available vaccines and cost, please call 865-215-5070. We accept credit cards, cash and check. Click here for more information.


    Some but not all insurance plans are accepted and some services (such as international travel vaccines) may not be covered by your insurance plan. Contracts with insurance companies change frequently, so we recommend that you contact your insurance company to determine if the Knox County Health Department is a covered provider and if the services you will be receiving are covered.

    • As of January 2, 2020, payment of vaccinations for yellow fever, typhoid (oral and injectable), Japanese encephalitis and pre-exposure rabies (received for international travel only) will be expected at the time of service.
    • Payment will include one $15 administration fee per visit. Following payment, you may request a receipt to send to your insurance company for potential reimbursement. Your medical insurance company’s decision to decline or accept reimbursement of payments made for international travel immunizations is their own and is final.

Required Documentation:

Please bring your immunization records to your appointment.
  1. Your Itinerary
  • What countries will you visit, and in what order?
    • Some countries require PROOF of vaccination when you enter from certain countries because of diseases that may be occurring in those areas.
  • How long will you stay in each country?
    • With longer trips, you have more potential exposure to insects, food- and water-borne illness and other infectious diseases.
  • When does your trip begin?
    • If you are leaving in less than two weeks, you may not have time to get all the recommended doses of vaccine, or you may not have developed full protection yet.
  1. Risk factors for health problems on your trip
  • What type of accommodations will you have?
  • Where will you eat your meals and get water to drink?
  • What types of activities will you participate in on your trip?
  1. Your medical history
  • Allergies
  • Medications
  • Chronic illnesses or medical conditions. A traveler's regular health care provider should evaluate pre-existing medical conditions.
  • Pregnancy

Have Questions?
Call: 865-215-5555

Need to report a public
health emergency?

Call 865-215-5093

On the first Wednesday of every month, all KCHD offices and clinics are closed in the morning for staff in-service. On these days, the main location (140 Dameron Ave.) will open at 11 a.m. and the West Clinic (1028 Old Cedar Bluff) will open at 11:30 a.m.

Clinics will also open at 10:30 a.m. (Main location) and 11 a.m. (West Clinic) on the following Wednesdays: April 17 and July 17. All other offices will open at 8 a.m.