Knox County Tennessee

Replacement For Lost or Damaged Title Certificates

Motor VehicleIf there is not a lien on a vehicle, the owner(s) may replace a lost or damaged motor vehicle title by visiting the Knox County Clerk’s office. However, for the Clerk's office to issue a replacement title, the vehicle record must be in the State's computer system and eligible for replacement. Also, the registered owners, when applying, must present proof of ownership and acceptable forms of identification. To obtain a replacement Tennessee motor vehicle title, owner(s) must complete all shaded areas of the Application for Replacement Title. This application requires the owner(s) or appointed power of attorney to sign his/her name in the box designated (signature of certifier/owner or power of attorney).

If a lien is recorded against the vehicle, a discharge of lien must accompany the application. If state record permits and if the data system does not indicate a lien, owner(s) will be issued a replacement title at the time application is made and appropriate documents submitted. Lien holders will need to sign and print the name of the lien holder and sign their name as the individual representative. Person(s) making application must submit copy of driver license(s) or other acceptable forms of identification. Submit a notarized Power of Attorney signed by owner(s) or lien holder designating, Knox County Clerk to sign the application. Lien holders must make payment by check drawn on their financial institution’s account; others may submit a cashier’s check or money order in the amount of $14.00.

Motor VehicleAlterations, erasures or white out invalidates Tennessee Certificates of Title. Such damaged titles must be replaced at the County Clerk’s office. Please bring the damaged document with you as it must be attached to the application for replacement title.

Eligibility for mail option:
Military Personnel, former Knox County Residents and Lien holders making Application for Replacement Title by mail for Certificate of Duplicate Title: Please mail your completed application to: Knox County Clerk, 300 Main St., Room 233, Knoxville, TN 37902. All other applicants please call (865) 215-2385 and ask to speak to a supervisor for instructions regarding your situation.