We reserve the right to stop accepting applications for any service before closing time if the demand exceeds our ability to process all applications before our closing time.
Completing the online Marriage Pre-Application will save you a considerable amount of time. The general information you submit will be forwarded directly to our office. After completing the pre-application online, you may then visit one of our locations to obtain your license. Additional requirements are outlined below.
Before a marriage can occur in Tennessee, a license must be obtained from the County Clerk. The fee is $97.50. The fee is reduced to $37.50 if the couple completes a Premarital Preparation Course. There is no waiting period, the marriage license is valid for thirty (30) days from issuance, and is good for ceremonies performed anywhere in Tennessee.
- Proof of date of birth (Certified Birth Certificate or Government Issued Photo Identification)
- Social Security Number (for individuals that have been issued one)
- Both parties must appear together. If either party is under the age of 18, contact our office for additional requirements. Applicants under age 16 must obtain a court order from the Juvenile Court Judge. If either individual is incarcerated at the time, or has a disability which prevents the person from appearing, that person may submit a notarized statement. Click the links below to download the required forms:
Marriage License for Incarcerated Applicant
Marriage License for Applicants with Disability
- The fee is $97.50. Applicants who have completed a premarital preparation course within a year prior to the date of applying for the license are exempted from paying $60.00 of this fee. Applicants must present a Certificate of Completion completed and signed by the course provider. This document must be notarized and presented to our office at the time of payment and receipt of your license.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I obtain a certified copy of my marriage license?
You may request a certified copy of your marriage license by visiting any of the Knox County Clerk's Office locations or you may request a copy online with a credit card. We will need the names of the groom and bride as well as the date of the marriage. Please note that the Knox County Clerk's office only has marriage license records for couples who applied for their marriage license in Knox County, Tennessee.
|Fees for a Certified Copy of a Marriage License.|
(includes mail fee and online processing fees)
How can I research or get a copy of a family member's marriage license?
You may contact Tennessee Vital Records at 615-741-1763.
When does the license expire? The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the day it is issued.
Who can solemnize a marriage? The rite of matrimony may be solemnized by any of the persons listed in T.C.A. ' 36-3-301:
- All regular ministers, preachers, pastors, priests, rabbis and other religious leaders of every religious belief, more than eighteen (18) years of age, having the care of souls.
- Current and former members of county legislative bodies.
- County mayors/executives and former county mayors/executives.
- Current and former judges and chancellors of this state.
- Current and former judges of general sessions courts.
- The governor.
- The county clerk of each county.
- Current and former speakers of the senate and speakers of the House of Representatives.
- Mayors of municipalities.
In 1997 the General Assembly authorized all elected officials and former officials who are authorized to perform marriages to do so in any county in the State of Tennessee. T.C.A. ' 36-3-301(i).
Deputy county clerks have full power to transact the business of the county clerk and therefore have the power to perform marriage ceremonies. Tenn. Att'y Gen. 85-243 (9/18/85)
Still have questions? You may email your inquiry here: Email the County Clerk.
Responses are provided Monday - Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm.
The Knox County Clerk's Office accepts cash, checks, and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express). We cannot accept credit cards for Drivers License and Passport services. A fee of 2.5% is assessed by the electronic processing company on all credit and debit card transactions. This fee does not go to the Knox County Clerk's Office. When you submit a check, you are authorizing electronic movement of funds from your account to the Knox County Clerk's account for payment of your transaction. There is a $30.00 NSF fee on all returned checks that are processed electronically. For those checks that are not processed electronically, the following statutory penalties will apply: the amount of the check on any amount owing less than or equal to twenty dollars, $20.00 on any amount owing greater than twenty dollars but less than two thousand dollars, and 1% on any amount owing greater than two thousand dollars. (T.C.A. § 9-1-109)