- Issuance of certified copies of death certificates to funeral directors, Issuance of cremation permits, and issuance of for burial transit out of state continue on a walk-in basis.
- Voluntary acknowledgment of paternity is by appointment only.
- Issuance of birth certificates can be requested in person OR by mail. Please note mother, father, legal guardian (with a copy of custody paper included), spouse, or person themselves can request birth certificates, and the address stated on the request is the address the certificate will be mailed to.
- Please use the following steps for in person requests: 1) Fill out the birth certificate request form here. Copies of the form are also available at the health department. 2) Bring the completed form to the Knox County Health Department Vital Records office (140 Dameron Ave, Knoxville, TN 37917) with a copy of your State ID or driver’s license, and a $15 fee (per each certificate request).
- Please use the follow steps for mail requests: 1) Fill out the birth certificate request form here;2) Place completed form, a copy of your State ID or driver’s license, and $15 fee (per each certificate request) in an envelope; 3) Mail to Knox County Health Dept. Attn: Vital Records, 140 Dameron Ave, Knoxville, TN 37917. Once Vital Records receives the mail request, certificate will be mailed out within 1-2 business days.
- The Tennessee Vital Records Office is processing certified copy requests, changes and corrections via mail. You can also request certified copies of vital records online using their approved third party vendor VitalChek. For more information, please visit https://www.tn.gov/health/health-program-areas/vital-records/certificate.html
- For questions, please call 865-215-5100.
Birth and Death Certificates
Birth and death records can be obtained at the Knox County Health Department’s main office at 140 Dameron Ave. You may also obtain records from the State of Tennessee, see contact information below.
Birth certificates can be issued to any person born in Tennessee since 1917. Birth certificates are available for persons born in Tennessee. Birth certificates may be purchased only by the person named on the certificate or by a parent, legal guardian, spouse or child of the named person. The cost is $15 per copy (NOTE: There is a $30 fee for any returned check). Payment may be by cash, money order, personal check (made out to Knox County Health Department) or major credit card.
Death certificates are available for any death that occurred in Tennessee since 1967. Death certificates may be purchased by a parent, legal guardian, child, spouse or legal representative of the person named, or by a funeral home. If you are not an eligible family member, you must bring documentation of your need for the certificate. Please bring a valid state ID or driver’s license with you for proof of identification. The cost is $15 per certificate (NOTE: There is a $30 fee for any returned check). Payment may be by cash, money order, personal check (made out to Knox County Health Department) or major credit card. Please allow at least two weeks for recent deaths.
Submitting Application in Person
You may print an application (see below), fill it out and bring it to the Knox County Health Department’s main office at 140 Dameron Ave. Please note, the Dameron Ave. location is the only Knox County Health Department location which is able to provide this service. Please bring a valid state ID or driver’s license with you for proof of identification. Payment may be by cash, money order, personal check (made out to the Knox County Health Department) or major credit card.
Order Certificate by Mail
To order by mail, you should print and fill out an application (see below), and mail it to: Vital Records, 140 Dameron Ave., Knoxville, TN 37917. Include a copy of your driver’s license and check or money order for $15.
Click on the item below to download and print an application form:
For frequently asked questions about birth and death certificates, please click here.
Knox County Health Department Vital Records
First floor (Behind security/information desk)
140 Dameron Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37917
Office hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
First floor, Andrew Johnson Tower
710 James Robertson Pkwy.
Nashville, TN 37243
Office hours (CT):
8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday, Wednesday and Friday
8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday