Knox County District Attorney General - Charme P. Allen

Judicial Diversion (FAQs)

Feature Image

What is Judicial Diversion? 

  • Judicial Diversion is a type of expungeable probation for eligible offenders who plead guilty.
  • You may be eligible for Judicial Diversion if you have never been convicted of a felony or some types of misdemeanors and if you have never received Diversion before. 
  • The Judge in your case decides whether to grant Judicial Diversion.
  • Some crimes cannot be diverted.
  • You may only receive one Judicial Diversion.

How do I apply for Judicial Diversion? 

  • You or your attorney must submit an application for Judicial Diversion to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI).  The TBI charges a $100 fee that you must submit to the TBI directly. 
  • Please visit the TBI Website to submit an application.  TBI’s address is: TBI Headquarters 901 R.S. Gass Boulevard, Nashville, TN 37216.  TBI’s phone number is: 615.744.4000.

What are my requirements if placed on Judicial Diversion? 

  • If the Court places you on Judicial Diversion, then you will be on probation.
  • You will be required to pay court costs in full by the end of your probationary period. 
  • You will be required to maintain good conduct - no new arrests, convictions, or criminal charges during your Judicial Diversion period. 
  • You may be required to participate in alternative sentencing which includes but is not limited to the following:  pay a fine; perform community service; pay restitution to a victim or business; report to a probation officer; undergo treatment and/or counseling; and, stay away from a victim, witness, property, or a business. 

What happens if I do not complete the requirements of Judicial Diversion? 

  • If you violate any requirement of your Judicial Diversion, then you are subject to having your Judicial Diversion revoked and a conviction entered.  You may also be required to serve time in jail.

What happens if I complete the requirements of Judicial Diversion? 

  • If you comply with all requirements of your Judicial Diversion, then the Court will dismiss the diverted charge(s) at the end of your probationary period. 
  • Then you or your attorney can file an Order of Expungement at the Clerk’s Office, which will remove charges from the public criminal record.  (NOTE:  The District Attorneys’ Office will not file the Order of Expungement form for you).  

For More Information about Judicial Diversions, click here.



City County Building 400 Main Street
Suite 168
Knoxville, TN 37902