Documents Used To Assist With The Application Process When Applying For Veterans And Surviving Spouses Benefits
- Military discharge papers or report of separation (dd-214, wd ago 53-55 or equivalent).
- Veteran’s and spouse’s social security number and date of birth.
- Birth date, place of birth and social security numbers for all dependent children.
- Marriage certificate for all marriages. (month/year, city/state)
- Divorce papers and/or death certificate for all previous marriages for veteran and spouse. (month/year, city/state)
- Veterans death certificate. (surviving spouse benefits)
- Social security award letter for all family members and gross amount/source of monthly income: pensions, retirements, interest/dividends received, etc. (pension only)
- List of all financial assets (checking, savings, stocks, bonds, annuities, ira, 401k, property (other than home), etc.) (pension only)
- va form 21-2680 (housebound/aid & attendance form)
- va form 21-0779 (nursing home certification) (pension only)
- Assisted living/attendant affidavit form. (pension only)
- Amounts and providers of all predictable/continuing out of pocket monthly medical expenses. (medicare premiums, private health ins, medicare supplements, drug plans, long term care insurance, nursing home/assisted living, in home care). (pension only)
- Amounts paid for last illness & funeral/plot expenses. Receipts showing payment of expenses. (pension only)
- Medical diagnosis for disabilities claimed or completed disability benefits questionnaire (dbq).
- Direct deposit information
EVEN IF YOU DON’T HAVE ALL THIS INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT THE KNOX COUNTY VETERANS SERVICE OFFICE FOR ASSISTANCE WITH VETERANS BENEFITS