The property values affirmed by the County or State Board of Equalization for Tax Year 2013 will remain in effect for tax year 2014 unless a property's physical characteristic or classification has changed since January 1, 2013. If a change in value or classification exists; a notice will be mailed to the last known address of the affected properties on or before May 20, 2014 notifying the taxpayer of a change in value or classification and instructions on appealing the property. The first level of appeal will begin with the County Board of Equalization which meets the entire month of June 2014 by appointment only. The phone line is now open starting at 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Please call 215-2006 for an appointment.
As the Knox County Property Assessor my primary responsibility is to provide the taxpayers of Knox County with accurate and fair appraisals of their property. It is my personal commitment to my constituents that this process is done in an open, equitable and transparent manner.
Since taking office in September 2008 I have worked to create an environment of excellence in our department. I've built a team of professionally trained, certified and highly qualified staff to serve in the Property Assessor's office. I've achieved this through retaining valued existing staff, hiring skilled new employees and emphasizing professional development and education for all personnel. I have streamlined office functions and we are in the process of upgrading decades-old technology. By creating the first Property Assessor website and Public Information Department we can now provide you with easier access to information and assist you in understanding the appraisal process, including your rights and responsibilities as property owners.
My thirty year career in the private sector supervising thousands of insurance appraisals in East Tenn., along with my experience as a regional operations claims manager and senior litigation specialist, and extensive training in business management practices provide a rich background to serve the people of Knox County. During my tenure as an insurance professional, I realized that to achieve superior results you have to provide superior service. We in the Property Assessor's Office are here to provide you - the citizens of Knox County, Tennessee - with superior service.
- Honored as East Tennessee Assessor of the Year 2010 by the Tenn. Association of Assessing Officers for "...exemplifying the highest standards of professionalism, service and leadership for Knox County."
- Tenn. Association of Assessing Officers State Executive Board, Policy and Finance Committees
- President, East Tenn. Association of Assessing Officers - 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12
- Leadership Award, East Tenn. Association of Assessing Officers - 2009/10, 2010/11
- International Association of Assessing Officers, Member since 2008
- Tenn. State Board of Equalization - Level 2 Certification
- American Educational Institute, Senior Claim Law Associate - 1995 (AEI's ultimate designation for claims professionals)
- Southeast Region Nationwide Insurance Arbitrator - 1990
- Pursuing IAAO Assessment Administrative Specialist and Tenn. Master Assessor Certification (all class work completed - 225 hrs.)
- Knox County Commissioner, 8th District - 2006 - 2008