David M. Sanders - Chief Deputy Law Director
Phone: 865-215-2327 Fax: firstname.lastname@example.org
David M. Sanders - Biography
David Sanders serves in the capacity as attorney for the Knox County Board of Education and Knox County Schools. David’s duties include:
- Advise the Board of Education on legal issues, necessitating attendance at all full Board of Education and committee meetings.
- Represent the school system, Board of Education, and administration in court and non-judicial proceedings as necessary.
- Review and approve contracts and grants involving the Knox County Schools.
- Advise the Board of Education, superintendent and other members of the schools’ administration on legal issues which arise during the operation of Knox County Schools and assist with the development and drafting of Board of Education policy.
- Provide advice and counsel to individual school administrators and educators as necessary to clarify myriad legal issues as they arise during the course of their duties.
David is a 1994 graduate of the University of Tennessee College of Law, where he was a member of Moot Court Board and the Jerome Prince Evidence Moot Court Team. An experienced trial attorney, he has represented both businesses and individuals in a variety of legal matters. He has obtained favorable outcomes for his clients through jury and non-jury trials, appeals, non-judicial hearings, mediations, and arbitration. He has won cases both in the Tennessee Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
David is a third-generation Knoxvillian and graduate of the Knox County school system. After graduating from a college, he joined the military and served his country as a Naval Intelligence officer for approximately ten years. He has volunteered for various local non-profit organizations, including Contact Help Line, Shangri-La Therapeutic Academy of Riding (STAR), and Habitat for Humanity. He is also heavily involved in his church, where he has served on the governing board, taught Sunday school to children and adults, and organized various fellowship events. David is married with one child and makes his home in Knoxville.
Areas of Practice
- Education Law
- Civil Litigation
- Civil Rights Law
- Liability Defense
- Employment Law
- Workers’ Compensation
- Contract Law
- 1994 Supreme Court of Tennessee
- 1997 United States District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
- 2008 United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- University of Tennessee, J.D., 1994
- University of the South (Sewanee), B.A., 1988