The Stormwater Management Division is responsible for erosion control education, watershed education, stormwater master planning, management of watershed quantity and quality studies, administration of water quality programs, design of municipal drainage improvements, stream bank stabil.
Stormwater Ordinance effective January 28, 2008
The Knox County Ordinance 0-07-12-101 on Stormwater Management covers policy on stormwater design, maintenance, water quality and floodplain development.
The Sinkhole Area Development Policy is referenced in the Stormwater Management Ordinance. This policy addresses engineering design plan requirements for sites which drain exclusively to karst or sinkhole areas.
The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation has issued a fact sheet on their new General NPDES Permit for Storm Water Discharges from Construction Activities. These regulations will replace the previous TDEC contruction permit and cover all contruction sites over five (5) acres. Please follow the link to learn more about the NPDES regulations.
Stormwater Management Links
- Tetra Tech/Arcadis Comparison Report of Proposed Stormwater Ordinance
- National Association of Flood & Stormwater Management Agencies
Latest updates and comments on regulatory issues, links to related resources
- ASCE Best Management Practices Database Online
A growing resource for evaluating BMP water quality practices for urban areas
- International Erosion Control Association
An organization for erosion control professionals
Search the FEMA database for Letters of Map Revision or Amendment
- Erosion Control Technology Council
Excellent resource for erosion and sediment control
- Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Nonpoint Source Pollution Control
Great BMP resource
- USDA Watershed Technology Electronic Catalog
more BMP information