Any person, firm or corporation, either a resident or non resident of Knox County, who goes from dwelling to dwelling, business to business, place to place, or from street to street, taking or attempting to take orders for any goods, wares or merchandise, or personal property of any nature whatsoever for future delivery (except that the term shall not include solicitors for charitable and religious purposes and solicitors for subscription described in Ord. No. O-97-5-101, § 110, 7-28-97 is considered to be a Solicitor/Peddler and must obtain a thirty (30) day permit. Knox County businesses that have an established, physical location in Knox County are exempt from the permit fees required by section 12-29(b) of the Knox County Code.
- Download and complete the Solicitor License Application. Each person considered to be a Solicitor/Peddler must complete and submit the application by visiting the Knox County Clerk’s office located at 300 W. Main Street Suite 226 Knoxville, TN 37902.
- The non-refundable fee for the Solicitor License is $55.00 per thirty (30) day period per applicant.
No peddler, street barker, solicitor, solicitor for charitable purposes, or solicitor for subscriptions shall:
- Be permitted to set up and operate a booth or stand on any street or sidewalk, or in any other public area within the county.
- Stand or sit in or near the entrance to any dwelling or place of business, or in any other place which may disrupt or impede pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
- Offer to sell goods or services or solicit in vehicular traffic lanes, or operate a "road block" of any kind.
- Call attention to his business or merchandise or to his solicitation efforts by crying out, by blowing a horn, by ringing a bell, or creating other noise, except that the street barker shall be allowed to cry out to call attention to his business or merchandise during recognized parade or festival days of the county.
- Enter in or upon any premises or attempt in or upon any premises wherein a sign or placard bearing the notice "Peddlers or Solicitors Prohibited," or similar language carrying the same meaning, is located.
Please call the Business License Division at 215-2392 for further details.